Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sergio Aguero: I would have joined Madrid

Sergio Aguero admits that, had Real Madrid shown
an interest in him, he would have moved to Santiago
Bernabeu, adding that he had no option but to join
Manchester City in 2011.
The Argentina international joined City from Atletico
Madrid that summer for a fee in the region of £38
million and scored 23 Premier League goals in his
debut season, including the strike against QPR that
won the title, but Roberto Mancini's side were seemingly not his first choice.
At the time of his move, Aguero was linked with
many clubs, including what was his preferred option,
to stay in the Spanish capital, but was at pains to
stress that he feels "comfortable and appreciated"
since making the switch to the Etihad Stadium.
Speaking to reporters after his side's 3-2 defeat to
the Liga holders on Tuesday, the forward explained:

"If Madrid had wanted me, I would be playing here. I
had no choice but to sign with Manchester City."

A move to Jose Mourinho's team was mooted in some
sections of the media just prior to his signing for
Roberto Mancini's men but it was suggested that he
was unwilling to join Atletico's arch-rivals as he did
not want to betray the club, something he now
denies ever saying.

"I never said that I wouldn't play with Real Madrid
because I didn't want to betray Atletico," Aguero
noted.

The forward took to Twitter afterwards to stress his
happiness since joining City despite his interest in
Madrid.

He wrote: "Just to make it clear - I'm very happy to be
in @MCFC. It's the best decision I could have taken.
"I feel comfortable and appreciated in @MCFC - it's a
project I feel involved in. We want more titles and
we'll get them!"



Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

No comments:

Post a Comment