Saturday, August 25, 2012

REVIEW | Capital F.E.M.I - The Year of R 'n' B ( Hey Banky W & Darey! Capital F.E.M.I. is in a class of his own now)

There is Banky W, Darey and then Capital F.E.M.I. F.E.M.I is in a class of his own now.

Capital FEMi's new album is a RnB, not pop album. It is settled that this singer has a distinct voice and he can sing with that voice. 17 RnB tracks with production credit from TY Mix, J Sleek, Masterkraft, Hakeem Abdulsamad and Surefire Music Group - how he'd have such a line up and still keep it RnB is remarkable. Perks that should excite one to listen would be collaborative tracks with the singer's brother Gbenga Adeyinka and Kennis Music honcho/executive producer Kenny Ogungbe.

The Master kraft-produced album title tracks sets the pace.

If his diction and aura might have said otherwise, F.E.M.I is making a RnB for the average Nigerian good music lover, the Sarz' produced 'Get low' where he references his roots re states this is Nigerian. His break-out, slight hit - Baby I got it with the thumping kicks sits as the third track, shines as the beautiful single material that it is. We did see Jaywon getting featured on the album, the collaborative track between the 'file be' singer and F.E.M.I was the fourth 'Am just saying' with the trademark flow from Sauce Kid.

Up on till the fifth track, F.E.M.I keeps the bass thumping, the solo track 'Duro timi' is a love song and as the subject suggest, with the hook delivered mostly in Yoruba.

RnB album without beautiful piano preface is simply incomplete. 'If' sees the Capital F.E.M.I win again, outside the rap verse.

After the relatively unknown Poka Face - featured 'Dial my heart', tracks like 'never felt a love' and 'In the name of love' prep listeners for the song where the singer delivers only assisted by backup singers and a piano. Femi's ability to effortlessly fuse yoruba words and slang is another plus, remarkable - Hakeem Abdulsamad-produced 'I found my wife' is a beautiful record, a single material. Interesting, Gbenga Adeyinka-featured 'everything' (who introduces the track and closes the track, talking over the beat as FEMI croons) is not an album filler and doesn't overhaul the entire feel of the album.

'Don't let go', 'Playlist', 'Am a star' featuring 2face, oops Joe EL was definitely a track I was looking forward. FEMI's rapping alter ego had to surface to speak about his 'star' status. Album closes with 'Oh My God'.

The Year of R 'n' B is a brilliant effort but more applauding is his lack of interest in making the kind of music that would move units - this is close to art.

Culled from MyTruSpot.com
Sent from my BlackBerry® Smartphone, from Etisalat. Enjoy high speed internet service with Etisalat easy net, available at all our experience centres

No comments:

Post a Comment