Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Ameh Daily Interviews Gifted Singer; THEODORA

A very energetic and enterprising young lady she favours Gospel/Soul/ R'n'B music genres but is a lover of all things music...


A-Zay: Briefly tell me about yourself


Theodora: Theodora is a lot of tinz....if I were to describe myself I wud say am warm, nice and easy going young lady. I like to observe what eva is going on around me.... Most times such scenarios/situations get reflected in my music.
I am also very plain and direct... So I wud say am an open book. What u see... Is what u get.


A-Zay: Who did you grow up listening to and how did that shape your chosen career?


Theodora: I was blessed to have very musical parents... We (My siblings & I) would always know wen my mum was home because she would always drive into the house singing in her car, as she came down from her car, she would keep singing right up until she walked into the house and gave us all hugs..... While not a professional singer, my mum always singing around d house, we literally grew up listening to her singing.... My dad on the other hand.... I believe had d highest collection of gramophone records I have ever seen till date... He was a genuine music lover.
My brother & I will come home from primary school immediately, change to our house clothes and if PHCN was kind to us on that day.... We would sing and dance to oldies like Donna Summers, Diana Ross, Bonnie M, Jackson 5 etc... We won't even ask what's for lunch :)
Movies like Grease, Sound of Music amongst others were early influences as well....
As I grew older I started listening to my own music... Whitney Houston, Cece Winans, TLC, Boyz II Men, Britney Spears, Salt n Pepa... and many more. My playlist was and still is an eclectic mix of music.
Music is something I grew up in and was taught to appreciate but to be honest as a teenager it was NOT through singing music found expression it was through dance.... So my background was in dance/choreography/dance drama/pantomime.... It is only just recently (5years ago) that I gravitated to singing.


A-Zay: What is your inspiration?


Theodora: What inspires me is the need to help other people through music.... I don't want my focus to be on the glamorous or fame seeking side of music...
I want to make music that makes d listener a better person after listening.
So that inspires me ALL d time. I always ask myself questions like - How can I make d listener happy? What is d average Joe/Jane on the other side of this CD taking away wit him/her after listening to this song?
It always important to me that other people feel better about themselves.... So that serves as inspiration enough for me to keep writing songs, keep singing, keep reaching out to people.


A-Zay: I see, so what are your hobbies?


Theodora: My hobbies will be reading fiction, watching movies and sleeping... Nah sleep sure pass...lol


A-Zay: First song ever sung?


Theodora: Hahaha! First time I ever sang in public was at my dad's 40th Birthday party... It was.... lol... It's the thought/gesture that counts.

A-Zay: Do you perform in public? Describe those occasions? Concerts, radio, TV?


Theodora: Yes I have performed within and outside Nigeria. Sometimes in the singing capacity and most times in the dance capacity.
There are too many to describe frankly but two stand out as the most memorable to me.
The first one was at Olabisi Onabanjo University... 2006. Ago - Iwoye Town Hall is filled to capacity (it seats 3000).

My dance partner & I were performing to Jaci Valesquez's - Eschshame/Listen to Me, it was a salsa upbeat track and it just tore up the stage. That was the first time I got a standing ovation in my career... It was a very humbling experience.
The second most memorable was in 2011 at the LTS Center, Selangor, Malaysia, I did a cover of Carrie Underwood's - Jesus Take the Wheel.
I just felt blessed to be able to use that platform to sing a gospel song and to mention that name "Jesus" to a group of people who otherwise would have had cause to get acquainted with that name.

A-Zay: If you weren't singing, what would you be doing?


Theodora: As far as careers go if am not singing or into music in any form. Then IT - Information Technology is my second love... Yep my secret is out! Am a techno geek! lol... but yea I would major in the creative side of IT - Webdesign, Animation, Multimedia and Graphic Design... Still in d creative/arty field


A-Zay: Ya! I know You work.. So how do you balance your Music with your job ?


Theodora: Not easy at all! But where there is a will there is a way... Plus I know all the juggling makes me a more disciplined and organised person... If som1 has to work 9 to 5pm Mon to Fri. That leaves weekends for studio sessions, photo shoots etc... So it teaches me how to better manage my time so no aspect of my work and music suffers.


A-Zay: After Your newest Single "Ko Si Isoro" was released, what kinda Feedbacks have you received ?


Theodora: Mostly positive... People are so kind and welcoming. Am even more sure when the video is released people would be even more impressed! So watch dis space closely!

A-Zay: Nice having you 'Theodora'

Theodora: Thanks for having me :)


A-Zay: And For Those of You that haff Carry last, That haven't listed to Theodora's - "Ko Si Isoro" .. *Stop boiling Stone*

DOWNLOAD KO SI ISORO: http://t.co/k9C4qVNx

Follow On Twitter @TeeDeeMusic


Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

No comments:

Post a Comment